Monday, August 19, 2013

Backyard camping

I am not a camper.  Let's just get that straight.  I think we went camping once or twice when I was growing up but I was too young to remember it.  I love nature and all, but I will take a bed to sleep on, thank you. 

The kids wanted to do backyard camping for a while so this summer we decided it was time to fulfill that wish.  Thanks to Pinterest, I found some cool ideas like tacos in a bag, a nature scavenger hunt, and a jug filled with water with a headlamp that makes a great light.  We had a fire for s'mores and to keep us warm.  It got down to about 51 that night - brrr.  (It's funny, if we hit 51 degrees in March we are all wearing shorts and tank tops!)

Anyway, there were bubbles and a short volleyball game.  We played Uno at bedtime and then read some stories from Encyclopedia Brown - remember those?!  It was cozy...7 people (and a dog) in a 6 person tent...

We lasted until somewhere around 1:30 a.m.  I woke up and could not go back to sleep.  As much as I love listening to the bugs, I just couldn't fall asleep and it was pretty chilly with only one blanket.  Then I heard someone else sit up and then someone else rustled.  Most of us went inside for more comfortable accommodations.  I assumed Meredith would come in if not then, soon after.  When we got up in the morning, we realized both Lyndsay and Meredith made it all night!  Wow - they are true campers in my book.  But like they said, once everybody left, they had all kinds of blankets and plenty of room. :)

I'm glad we tried it and maybe next year this could become a tradition with Dad!!



 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! ~ Thank you ~